- Location: Jasper, Alberta, Canada
- Rooms: 442
- Courses: One
- Amenities: Lodge / eight restaurants / spa / tennis / pool
- Also good for: All-Around Excellence
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: September for best course conditions and full fall colors.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $324
- Golf experience: Become one with nature on this Stanley Thompson design set in a national park.
- Best non-golf amenity: Grab a kayak and paddle around Lac Beauvert, a glacier-fed lake surrounded by snow-capped mountains.
- While you're there: Test your nerves on the Columbia Icefield Skywalk, a glass walkway that juts out over a deep valley.
- Insider tip: Stay in the four-bedroom home named after the course designer.
Jasper Park offers the rare opportunity to play golf inside a national park, and it’s well worth the three-and-half hour drive from Banff or Edmonton. The Stanley Thompson-designed layout provides plenty of room off the tee. Good thing, because the mesmerizing natural beauty, with each hole framed to highlight a mountain view, will distract even the most focused players. The views looking back down the holes from the green aren’t too shabby either. You’ll never feel like you are playing the same hole twice. Three holes on the back nine — Nos. 14, 15 and 16 — sit along the edge of usually crystal-clear Lac Beauvert. Wildlife is everywhere, and none of them will likely be impressed by your presence. Back at the resort you can lay down your head in the main lodge, or book one of the charming cedar chalets or cabins. An award-winning spa will ease sore muscles after your outdoor exploring, while dinner in Moose’s Nook Chophouse is a must.