- Location: San Diego, CA
- Rooms: 249
- Courses: One
- Amenities: Five restaurants / spa / tennis / pool / fitness center / meeting rooms
- Also good for: Best for Luxury
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: It’s a welcome respite no matter what season you’re escaping from.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $613
- Golf experience: The Grand Golf Cub is an inland, Tom Fazio-designed championship track that crisscrosses the Los Peñasquitos Canyon.
- Best non-golf amenity: The resort’s aptly named Way for Wellbeing spa.
- While you're there: The adjoining 4,100-acre Los Peñasquitos nature preserve features miles of trails for hiking and mountain biking.
- Insider tip: The Grand Golf Performance Academy is world-class, with seven acres of practice area and cutting-edge tech.
What makes Grand Del Mar unique is its uncanny ability to be many things at once. It’s both tranquil and invigorating. Peaceful and enthralling. Expansive and intimate. The Mediterranean-style resort sprawls 400 acres (the golf course takes up 350 of that). Enjoy the expanse or tuck away somewhere quiet for a relaxation session and/or activity of your choosing. The Tom Fazio-designed course set against the rugged Los Peñasquitos Canyon landscape is a testament to what it means to play one hole at a time, because on most holes you can see only that hole. Fazio is known for moving dirt, but at Grand Del Mar (his only design in San Diego) he largely took what the land gave him. It’s a tough test from the back tees at more than 7,100 yards but far less bruising from the closer teeing areas.