- Location: Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
- Rooms: 83
- Courses: Two
- Amenities: One restaurant / health club / spa / pool
- Also good for: All-Around Excellence
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Late May/early June (post spring break) or early Dec., before the winter vacay crowds hit.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $460
- Golf experience: Jack Nicklaus–designed Ocean course and Tom Weiskopf-designed Desert course.
- Best non-golf amenity: The private infinity pools at each of the 14 villas are heaven (as is the resort’s direct beach access).
- While you're there: Book a fishing trip. This is the “marlin capital of the world.” The waters also teem with mahi mahi, tuna and more.
- Insider tip: Grab lunch at Taqueria El Paisa—less than 20 minutes from the resort. The tacos here are the stuff of legend.
It’s a nickname that strikes the most delightful image: Jack Nicklaus sporting a sombrero, poncho and cowboy boots, gazing out over the enchanting Sea of Cortes from one of his three pioneering golf course designs. Yes, on the Baja California Peninsula, the Golden Bear is known as the “Golden Amigo.” It’s a fitting moniker, because the 18-time major winner put Los Cabos golf on the map. Perhaps his finest addition to this stunning strip on the southern tip of Baja is the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol, a wonderful resort populated with arroyos and bunkers. The beachfront green at the 5th and the subsequent back-to-back par 3s are otherworldly. But the finishing stretch, from No.16, is so spectacular that the Golden Amigo himself declared the trio among the finest oceanside finishing holes in all of golf. Tom Weiskopf’s Desert course at Cabo del Sol is a wonderful complement to Nicklaus’ offering. The Cabo del Sol Premier Collection resort is as enchanting as the golf, with 69 ocean-view condos and 14 two-story villas, spread across three five-story buildings. The villas have their own infinity pools. Be sure to also explore the stunning beachfront — for swimming, paddleboarding, surfing, even whale-watching.
Nicklaus Design and GOLF.com are affiliates of 8AM Golf.