- Location: Arcadia, MI
- Rooms: 45
- Courses: Two
- Amenities: three restaurants / pool / outdoor activities
- Also good for: Best for Buddies (#6)
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Summer for spectacular golf weather and views.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $365
- Golf experience: The best-in-class Bluffs course overlooks Lake Michigan; the idyllic South course.
- Best non-golf amenity: Great Lake Michigan views and food from the dining room, open for three meals a day.
- While you're there: Do your research. There are dozens of great courses in the area if you’re looking for multiple rounds and locations.
- Insider tip: The Cottages, which line the 2nd hole of the Bluffs course, include a private putting green for post-round money matches.
Michigan teaching pro Rick Smith and course designer Warren Henderson helped usher in a Michigan golf revolution 20 years ago with the opening of the Bluffs Course overlooking the expansive waters of Lake Michigan. The immediate popularity of the scenic daily-fee course drove golfers to the underrated Michigan golf scene. A second course, the South Course, was opened this year by the architectural firm of Fry-Stanka, a mile away from the original layout. The South Course pays homage to the glory days of golf architecture of the 1920s and 30s with a mainly treeless setting that allows for (and demands) all kind of creativity. There are accommodations for groups big and small, including the charming Nantucket-style Lodge, the Bluffs Lodge and the more intimate Cottages. The main dining room allows you to take in panoramic views of the lake as you plan your next day’s fun.