- Location: Kohler, WI
- Rooms: 379
- Courses: Four
- Amenities: Spa / hot yoga / pool / tennis / indoor cycling / sporting clays / hunting
- Also good for: Best for Luxury (#2)
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: Golf season doesn’t extend far beyond May-October.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $600
- Golf experience: Four Pete Dye tracks, headlined by Whistling Straits, ranked by GOLF as No. 58 in the world.
- Best non-golf amenity: The private cabin for rent named Sandhill.
- While you're there: Take a chartered salmon-fishing trip on Lake Michigan.
- Insider tip: Beer-battered cheese curds from the Horse & Plow will soon be your favorite appetizer.
The eyes of the golf world will turn to Whistling Straits for the 2020 Ryder Cup, but there is so much more to the American Club. Just 63 miles north of the Milwaukee airport, four courses are at your disposal, each aptly named for their differences (the Straits, the Irish, the Meadow Valleys, the River). Your best bet for tackling all four is the Dye-Abolical Package, named after their famed creator, Pete Dye. Each of them brings you face-to-face with the best aspects of nature in Wisconsin. Birdies on the links can cede to kayaks on the lake or fishing on the river. As you might expect from America’s plumbing experts, the Kohler Waters Spa is one of the nation’s finest. Gourmet dining is on offer at the Immigrant Restaurant, and this being Wisconsin, the cheese selection is world class.