- Location: Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
- Rooms: 20+
- Courses: One
- Amenities: Two restaurants / beaches / spa / pool
- Also good for: Best for Luxury
6 things you need to know
- Best time to go: November through April.
- Daily stay-and-plays start at: $1,650
- Golf experience: A Rees Jones oceanside stunner.
- Best non-golf amenity: Nature walks around the mountains encircling Playa Grande.
- While you're there: Dive into the kitesurfing.
- Insider tip: Take advantage of the hotel transportation. Amanera is more than an hour from the airport, on mountain roads.
On the Dominican Republic’s Gold Coast on Playa Grande Beach, this all-casita-and-casa resort is a monument to upscale luxury. Surrounded by natural beauty it’s an outdoor-enthusiast’s paradise with endless water sports, outdoor yoga and spa treatments, plus hiking in the nearby mountains. The Rees Jones-designed course is one of the more spectacular in the region. All 18 holes have a view of the ocean with 10 holes directly on the water, clinging to the cliffs, including the last five. It’s a closing act you won’t soon forget.