RBC Heritage, the first tournament after the Masters, continuing to prepare

March 14, 2020
Dustin Johnson RBC Heritage

Golf’s next scheduled tournament in the wake of the PGA Tour’s cancellations and the Masters’ postponement said Saturday it’s continuing preparations as planned.

The RBC Heritage in Hilton Head, S.C., is set for April 16-19, making it the next event on the professional golf schedule. The Heritage said it currently has no plans to alter or cancel the tournament following Thursday’s announcement that the PGA Tour is canceling the remainder of this week’s Players Championship and the next three events, and Friday’s announcement that Augusta National is postponing the April 9-12 Masters.

“Since the RBC Heritage is beyond that time frame, the staff is continuing to proceed with the planning and execution of the event,” the release said.

“Together with the PGA Tour, the Heritage Classic Foundation is mindful of concerns regarding COVID-19. The health and safety of our spectators, players, sponsors, volunteers, employees and all associated with the RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing is our number one priority.”

On Friday, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan said the tour had been talking with the events following the Masters.

“As we step back and we think about when we’re going to play, we need to do all the things that led us to this decision,” Monahan said. “We need to continue to understand what’s happening on the ground in the markets where we would be returning to play, continue to work with our partners in those markets, continue to understand what’s happening with the CDC and the World Health Organization, and then ultimately that will guide our decision. We’re going to make sure that we protect the safety and well-being of all of our constituents as we make that decision.”

The RBC Heritage said it will continue to provide status updates.

“This is obviously a very fluid situation that requires constant review, communication and transparency, and we are dedicated to all three aspects,” the release said. “Working with the PGA Tour, we will continue to monitor information provided by the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control, and local and state government leaders. We will offer regular status updates in the coming weeks including any additional protocols put in place to ensure the health and safety of all in attendance.”

To receive GOLF’s all-new newsletters, subscribe for free here.