Social 7: Spieth’s calloused hands, Romo’s miracle shot, Tebow’s quick wit and more
Welcome to the Social 7, where Tim Reilly or Rachel Bleier of GOLF’s social media team will dive into the good, bad, crazy, insane, viral, hilarious — well, you get the picture — of the past week on social media.
1. Nick Faldo was a guest on The Dan Patrick Show earlier this week, whose set was on the Pebble Beach driving range. Faldo treated Patrick to a barrage of pro swing impersonations. The grand finale? A reenactment of Sergio’s temper tantrum in the Saudi Arabia sand.
Well played, Sir Nick. Well played.
— Dan Patrick Show (@dpshow) February 7, 2019
2. @MyDadGolfing is the best golf Instagram account you might not be following. The concept is simple: A son filming his dad on the golf course. His best score? 128. Yeah, you get the gist on the type of content that comes from this page.
The saying goes, “even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.” Well, that moment finally came for this hacker. Unlike the majority of @MyDadGolfing’s content, we were treated with a feel-good post this week. Dad made the first par of his life! The celebration displayed just how much this accomplishment meant to him.
Next up, a birdie. Just don’t get too good, dad, we’re enjoying the current state of your game too much.
3. Hosung Choi made his highly anticipated PGA Tour debut at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and didn’t disappoint. He might not have made the cut, but he left a lasting impression on all those who came out to show their love and support for the man with the most electric swing in golf. Choi proved sometimes you don’t have to play on Sunday to become the talk of a tournament.
— JaeKwon Son 손재권 (@gjack) February 8, 2019
Ho Sung Choi for birdie …
Give him a break. pic.twitter.com/rZU6B3DTml
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 9, 2019
— Avery D’Alessandro (@theaverystudio) February 9, 2019
As for Choi’s swing, it’s much, much harder than it looks…
Ho-sung Choi's swing isn't for everyone, and our staff found that out the hard way… 🤷♂️🤣🤷♀️ pic.twitter.com/43Zezw8Pxp
— GOLF.com (@GOLF_com) February 8, 2019
4. The Shot of the Week belongs to Tony Romo. Much like his football playing style, Romo found a way to make something out of nothing on a hospitality patio. It was a miraculous shot that only would’ve been made better if Romo was mic’d up to provide commentary on his own shot.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 10, 2019
5. Jordan Spieth has been working hard toward getting his game back to World No. 1 caliber. All of that work has taken its toll on Spieth’s hands. As seen in the photo below, those calloused hands sure don’t look like they should belong to a 25-year-old pro golfer.
Spieth is wise beyond his years, I’m just not so sure he wants hands beyond his years, too. If he starts hoisting trophies and wearing a green jacket again it will all be worth it though.
Hey kids, wanna be a pro golfer?
Take a look at @JordanSpieth’s hand.
— Chris Chaney (@Wrong_Fairway) February 8, 2019
6. The Players Championship introduced a new trophy this week. My first thought when I saw it was that this is golf’s version of an Oscar. It’s a sharp looking trophy that features an engraving of the fabled 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass on its base. The “fifth major” certainly has a major-worthy trophy.
We’ll see if music starts playing during the winner’s speech this year to wrap them up in true Oscars fashion.
7. Tim Tebow took some cuts at a Topgolf while chatting with Pat McAfee. The former Heisman Trophy winner and current outfielder in the Mets minor league organization appears to have serious game in a third sport.
Tebow has been vocal over the years about his religious beliefs. After smashing a ball, one spectator commented, “Jesus.”
Tebow responded, “Loves you” without missing a beat.
Is a power above helping him make the game look this easy?! I don’t believe in much, but I believe in Tim Tebow.