Welcome to the Social 7, where Tim Reilly or Rachel Bleier of GOLF’s social media team will dive into the good, bad, crazy, insane, viral, hilarious — well, you get the picture — of the past week on social media.
1. Nike is known for its groundbreaking shoe designs, and the Air Max 1 Golf “Grass” started circulating over the weekend and they’re…something. With a design built to resemble fairways and rough at a golf course, these shoes are sure to garner plenty of attention once available for purchase. If you’re a player that takes large divots, you can just leave a shoe behind and no one will know the difference. Now that’s groundbreaking.
2. Friends don’t let friends use iron covers. Why? College player Hannah Gregg’s hilarious hypothetical dating situation sums it up.
3. The Augusta National countdown is on. No, not for the Masters. Rather for the Augusta National Women’s Amateur! Some of the best young women golfers in the world began receiving their invitations this week and couldn’t help but to display their excitement on social media. This is going to be a must-watch event. April 3 can’t come soon enough.
4. Now that’s he doesn’t have a country to run, President Obama has more free time on his hands to work on his golf game. Obama was often celebrated for his skills on the hardwood while his swing left much to be desired. After watching this, it’s clear Barry is starting to make some real progress.
Picture this: The Match 2, Trump vs. Obama. Charge me whatever you want for that one.
5. Watching Rory drive a golf ball is one of the most enjoyable things in golf. Watching a youngster mimic Rory’s swing turns out to be even more enjoyable. Though I have mixed emotions watching this video. First, I always think it’s awesome to see kids getting involved in the game early. It’s fun to think this kid might be the game’s next prodigy. However, I’m also bitter this kid has a better swing than I’ll ever have. I can live with never being as good as Rory, but it’s a lot harder to swallow when it’s a 7-year-old.
6. There are all sorts of time-wasting accounts on Instagram. They typically provide entertainment that I never knew I needed before. This week a new account “@TWDoingThings” launched and it shares great photos of Tiger, well, doing things over the years. It’s one of my new favorite follows and once again, entertains me in a way that I didn’t know I needed.
7. Last week marked the 20th anniversary of The Sopranos debut. It’s right up there as one of my all-time favorite shows. When I stopped to reflect on Tony and his crew, I was surprised by how often golf was the show’s setting. GOLF’s resident New Jersey expert Patrick Ralph took it upon himself to countdown The Sopranos’ best golf moments.
My biggest takeaway is the outfits. These looks are something you bust your buddies chops over. But a made man? Fuhgeddaboudit.
Speaking of in-house Sopranos takes, our instruction editor Luke Kerr-Dineen decided to mock Tony’s footwork on the tee box. People have been whacked for much less, Luke…