Not only do you spray your drives, but you take the anxiety over your sprayed drives to every tee.
Instead of swinging into your normal full follow-through, finish your drives when the clubhead reaches about waist high after impact. Call this spot “Checkpoint Charlie,” and go through the following list when you reach it:
• The clubshaft and your left arm are more or less still in line.
• Your right wrist is still bent back slightly.
• Your right arm is across your chest.
• Your chest is facing the target.
• The toe of the club is pointing up, neither too open nor too closed.
If you work on finishing your driver swings with a short follow-through that satisfies the five conditions above, you may lose a little distance, but you’ll also land a lot more shots on the short grass.