Sports Illustrated’s Alan Shipnuck breaks down the good and bad — and sometimes even the ugly — of the weekend that was in professional golf. More often than not, someone blew a lead, another player stormed onto the scene and a few others provided us unforgettable moments, for whatever reason. Who is a hero and who is a zero? Find out below, but make sure to check back next week. You never know who will show up.
1. Adam Scott. How on Earth do you make two double bogeys, shank a sand shot and still fight back to win? Turns out this pretty boy has true grit.
2. Beyonce. You know you’ve finally arrived when Ha Na Jang uses you as the inspiration for her victory dance.
3. Steve Bowditch. Homey didn’t break 80 in four rounds at Doral, finished 49 strokes off the lead…and still cashed $48K. Is this a great country or what?
4. Bubba. He was once the Dave Kingman of the links, equally capable of awesome home runs and inexplicable strikeouts. Now he’s Ted Williams, hitting for power and average – Watson’s everyday standard of play has become so high it’s hard to imagine him not contending at Augusta… or Oakmont… or Royal Troon… or Baltusrol.
5. The Blue Monster. It’s not artful, exactly, but it’s a nerve-wracking track that rewards aggressive play and produces big-time leaderboards. I’ll miss it when President Trump dumps the tournament as payback to the Tour for its passive-aggressive non-support.
1. Dustin. I’m starting to think this guy is a little enigmatic.
2. Rory. I’m not sure it’s time to hit the panic button yet. Let’s give it, oh, a couple more minutes…
3. Stevie. A few years ago he was given much of the credit for Adam Scott’s ascent. So how come Scott is now playing the best golf of his life with a different caddie?
4. Phil. Hey, I’m loving this renaissance as much as everyone else. But going on three years without a win, the moral victories are getting a little tiresome for this aging Hall of Famer.
5. Michelle Wie. Wasn’t this going to be a comeback year? She went 75-72-75-75 to finish nearly DFL in Singapore. I’m starting to think she’s a little enigmatic.