Welcome to the Social 7, where Tim Reilly or Rachel Bleier of GOLF’s social media team will dive into the good, bad, crazy, insane, viral, hilarious — well, you get the picture — of the past week on social media.
1. There are a lot of rules changes coming in 2019. Unfortunately for Justin Thomas, shirts are still required during Tour events. Outside of tournament play, JT seems to like working on his game and his tan at the same time. When you play as often as he does you have to even out that golfer’s tan whenever you have the chance.
If JT keeps playing shirtless, sponsors might start asking for some ink on his body.
2. Speaking of rules, we’re breaking all the changes down for you through a 12 Days of Rules thread on Twitter! Check it out daily as we help explain what you need to know for 2019. Consider this our holiday gift to you. It’s right up there with a Jelly of the Month club membership as the gift that keeps on giving.
3. Rickie Fowler turned the Dirty 30 on Thursday. With the youth movement on Tour in full effect, it feels like Rickie is already a senior citizen on Tour. His fiancee Allison Stokke, Michelle Wie and JT helped him celebrate the occasion with a little booze cruise action.
Marrying Stokke is a great way for Rickie to kick off his 30s and winning a major would be the icing on that wedding cake.
4. Want to feel even older, Rickie? GOLF magazine’s January cover features 23-year-old Cameron Champ, 22-year-old Sam Burns and 20-year-old Joaquin Niemann. These young guns have Tour veterans scratching their heads if they should even be hitting from the same tee box as these bombers. The youth movement has quickly become the now movement.
5. Jordan Spieth plays golf right handed but is a southpaw when he steps on a pitcher’s mound. Jordan played a little home run derby with his buddies and got ROCKED. It’s hard to say if Jordan was bringing his A-game or not. Nonetheless, I’m holding out hope Jordan’s buddy told him to “go get that ball!” after knocking it out of the park.
6. Caddyshack is a cinematic masterpiece. That doesn’t mean someone in Hollywood isn’t drafting up a remake script at this very moment. This isn’t in the works yet, that we know of, but we thought we’d get a headstart and lend the casting director a hand. Jason Sudeikis as Ty Webb? Margot Robbie as Lacey Underall? Larry David as Judge Smails? Prettttty, Pretttty good.
In all seriousness, creating a Caddyshack better than the original has longer odds than Carl Spackler does of winning the Masters.
7. You might recall that Paul Casey has an unused set of Nike VR Pro blades that Tommy Fleetwood is dying to get his hands on. Fleetwood still plays these clubs and is down to his last set. Given that Nike no longer makes clubs, this is it for him. Casey’s fresh set would theoretically lengthen how long Fleetwood could play with the fabled irons. Too bad Casey has no intention on parting with his.
This week Casey stumbled across the irons just sitting in storage, so he did the logical thing and posted them on social media to rub it in Fleetwood’s face. Well played with the #TommyFleetwoodcallme hashtag…