Welcome to the Social 7, where Tim Reilly or Rachel Bleier of GOLF’s social media team will dive into the good, bad, crazy, insane, viral, hilarious — well, you get the picture — of the past week on social media.
1. Ladies European Tour player Florentyna Parker played a round at Gunsan Country Club in South Korea. Why is this notable? Well, the third hole at Gunsan CC happens to be the longest in the world, which she brought to our attention. When converted from meters into yards, this par 7 comes in at just under 1,100 yards.
My head is already spinning at the thought of taking a courtesy “double the hole” 14…
2. If a baby cries during Patrick Reed’s backswing, do you really think he’s not going to acknowledge it? The most surprising thing about this clip is that Reed didn’t holler out: “Is that Jordan Spieth in the crowd?”
3. For the most part, professional golfers are rather bland during post-round interviews. One way to spice it up? Puppies! I’ve watched this Lexi Thompson interview several times now and I still have no idea what she said. My entire focus has been on her puppy Leo.
Dare we credit Lexi’s win to Leo?!?
4. Danny Willet has been on a cold streak since winning the Masters in ’16. Is it really possible a two-year bender was holding him back? Better yet, should a Masters celebration be limited to just two years?! Mine wouldn’t.
Let’s keep a close eye on Willet to see what he does for an encore celebrating his DP World Tour Championship win. Hair of the dog, Danny.
5. Brandel Chamblee’s twitter feed has essentially turned into a YouTube rabbit hole of pro golfers’ swings from their youth. His latest obsession is breaking down Cameron Champ’s mechanics. There’s no question that it’s been fun watching Champ go from a prodigy to a rising star on Tour.
At the same time, I get it, I’ll never be as good as Cameron Champ. I don’t need a reminder that I’ll never be as good as 13-year-old Champ, either.
6. Movie director and writer Judd Apatow knows a thing or two about enticing an audience to pay to watch content, and it appears he was sold hook, line and sinker to order The Match. Judging by the amount of lackluster promotion we’ve seen leading up to Friday’s showdown, it’s a shame we didn’t get Apatow feeding Tiger and Phil lines. Fingers crossed we avoid a Trainwreck performance in Vegas…
7. “How many tees should I take” is one of the oldest dilemmas in golf. You always want to make sure to take enough to cover your round. On the flipside, you don’t want to come off as the cheapskate bumming anything that isn’t nailed down at the country club.
And all this time I thought it was just your keys rattling around in your pocket, boss.