HONG KONG (AP) — Seve Ballesteros is recovering well from surgery to remove a malignant brain tumor and doctors are upbeat about his progress, fellow Spanish star Jose Maria Olazabal said Sunday at the Hong Kong Open.
The 51-year-old golf great underwent a 6 1/2-hour operation Oct. 24 to remove the brain tumor and reduce swelling around the brain. He was admitted on Oct. 6 after fainting at Madrid’s international airport. He was released from intensive care Tuesday.
Olazabal said he has been in touch with Ballesteros’ relatives and that they and doctors are positive about his recovery.
“Everybody seems to be really optimistic,” Olazabal said. “Even the doctors are saying that Seve’s improvement has been fantastic so far. … He will still have to get stronger, but he’s doing fine.”
Ballesteros and Olazabal, a two-time Masters champion, were 11-2-2 as Ryder Cup partners.