Andrew Landry grabbed the early lead at Oakmont and hasn’t yet let go, despite multiple rain delays. Here are the top five things to know about the 28-year-old U.S. Open rookie:
5. Landry is currently leading the field by three shots and is -5 under through 13 holes. Johnny Miller’s course-record 63 is still within reach. All this on a notoriously challenging course that many believed wouldn’t yield low scores, even to the very best golfers in the world.
4. He qualified for Oakmont by way of the Durham, NC local qualifier, where he shot a 69, and then a 7-under 135 at the Memphis sectional.
3. His professional wins include a March 2015 triumph at the Web.com Tour’s Cartagena de Indias at Karibana Championship. His margin of victory there was five strokes, and he finished 11 under par.
2. The Texan made his PGA Tour debut at the 2015 Shell Houston Open. His best PGA Tour finish was 41st at the 2016 FedEx St. Jude Classic.
1. He’s ranked 624th in the world in the OWGR, even lower than the out-of-commission Tiger Woods, who has fallen to 569th in recent weeks. Landry is the definition of a dark horse.