Tiger Woods Announces He'll Miss 2016 U.S. Open, Quicken Loans
Tiger Woods said Tuesday that he is still making progress as he rehabs his back but that he will not play in either the U.S. Open at Oakmont next week or the Quicken Loans National, the tournament his foundation hosts, a week later.
In a post on his website, Woods said "While I continue to work hard on getting healthy, I am not physically ready to play in this year's U.S. Open and the Quicken Loans National. I am making progress, but I'm not yet ready for tournament competition.
"I want to thank everyone for their continued support. The positive texts, emails and calls I have received have been incredible. I want to wish Mike Davis, Diana Murphy, the USGA, the players and everyone at Oakmont a very successful week.
"I will be hosting and attending my foundation's tournament, the Quicken Loans National, at Congressional. It's the 10th year of our tournament, and we continue to support the community, the military and the programs of the Tiger Woods Foundation."
The 40-year-old hasn't played since the Wyndham Championship in August, where he tied for 10th.
Woods has now sat out four of the last 10 majors, including the Oakmont Open. In those same 10 starts, he has made just two cuts. The last time he played the weekend at a major was at the 2015 Masters, and the last time he finished top 10 at a major was at the 2013 British Open at Muirfield.
Woods still hasn't won a major since he picked up his 14th major title at the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines on a broken leg. His 10-year U.S. Open exemption will expire in two years.
Despite not having won a major since Torrey, Woods still believes he can break Jack Nicklaus's record of 18 major wins.
At a media day last month for the Quicken Loans National, Woods said, "I think his major championship record is certainly still attainable."