Tiger Woods said Wednesday that he has been analyzing his own swing on video since his former coach Hank Haney resigned last month, and that he has no plans to hire a new coach.
"That's the great thing about technology," Woods said during a press conference at the Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio. "We can use video. That's what I've been doing and been working on it that way."
Asked about Haney's resignation in the aftermath of Woods's sex scandals, Woods said, "I understand it; there's a lot going on."
Woods's driving accuracy has come under criticism during his years with Haney, but Woods said he became a more consistent ball-striker under Haney and noted that he won at least five tournaments every year since Haney began coaching him in 2004. He also said his pursuit of driving distance led to more missed fairways.
"If I bring out my old driver, I'd hit it a lot straighter than I do now because it goes shorter," Woods said. "I've gained the ability to hit the ball probably 20, 30 yards further than I did then, but then also that brings in more trouble. The game has changed so much now that you just have to hit the ball out there."
When Woods struggles on the golf course, commentators routinely advise him to just go back to the swing he had when he won the 2000 U.S. Open by 15 strokes.
Just one problem. Woods says he can't make that swing anymore.
"I don't have the [swing] speed anymore," Woods said. "I'm getting older."
The Memorial, which begins Thursday, is the first tournament for Woods since he withdrew from the Players Championship with a sore neck.
"I'm good enough to play, definitely," Woods said. "The swelling's gone down and I have my range of motion and I'm able to recover."
He said he recently played 54 holes near his home in Isleworth, Fla.
Asked why he didn't tell reporters about his neck injury prior to withdrawing, Woods gave a curt response.
"You don't need to know," he said.