NBC Sports golf analyst Johnny Miller is known for making brash predictions on-air, and he offered one about Tiger Woods in an exclusive Golf Magazine interview: Miller said Woods will win four more majors and at least 30 more tournaments, which would leave Woods tied with Jack Nicklaus for most career major victories at 18.
“Tiger’s the greatest Sunday pressure player ever,” Miller said. “I think he’ll win three of four times in 2012 and have a second career that will match [Phil Mickelson’s] career, which is amazing.
“Phil’s won almost 40 times with four majors—I think Tiger will win four more majors and 30 or 40 more tournaments, which is fantastic,” Miller continued. “But for him to win five and surpass Jack? There’s a great chance he’ll win four and tie with Jack, but I don’t think he’ll get the fifth.”
The reason Woods will fall short of his long-stated goal of surpassing Nicklaus’s major record is because the young stars of the game are so good, Miller said.
“You’ve got guys like Rory McIlroy and Jason Day who say, ‘Hey, I can beat you,’” Miller said. “They might rethink their bravado if Tiger starts kicking butt again, but right now Rory’s thinking, ‘Hey, old man, you had your day. My time is now.’”
Miller gave his opinion on Woods, Mickelson and a variety of other topics in an interview in the March issue of Golf Magazine, which Miller has joined as a contributor.
More from Miller:
Golf Magazine Interview: Miller talks Tiger, Phil and more
Reverse Your Finish Like I Did for Squarer Hits
The March issue of Golf Magazine is on newsstands now. Golf Magazine is also available in tablet editions (free for subscribers) for the iPad Kindle, NOOK Color and select Android devices via Next Issue at golfmagazine.com/allaccess.
Videos More Videos
- Deep Thoughts With Sergio Garcia
- Go Longer With the New Nike Covert Irons
- Tumble Like Rory to Knock Your Fairway Woods Pin High
- 'In Conversation With': Richard Kind and David Morse on Acting and Golf
- Learn Walker's 'Spider-Man' Move
- Tour Confidential: Match Play Event In Trouble?
- 'In Conversation With' Preview: Richard Kind and David Morse
- Tour Confidential: Why 'Caddyshack' Endures
- Deep Thoughts With Jason Day
- Johnny Miller: 3 Tour Trends That Need To End Now!