1. Cali swag. I'm biased, I know, but La Jolla-Pebble-Riviera in the span of four weeks comprises the best stretch on Tour, a trifecta of U.S. Open courses and endless beauty shots.
Has a sun-drenched Pebble ever looked more glorious? And both the San Diego Invitational and Crosby Clambake featured Sunday dogfights defined by stellar shotmaking and a likeable winner. Expect Riviera to keep the fun going.
2. Bill Murray & D.A. Points. This unlikely duo had undeniable chemistry, the thoughtful, humble, well-mannered Points serving as the perfect straight-man. Points's victory should launch a solid career, but it was the normally glib Murray who was most choked-up on Sunday. Is this a great game or what?
3. Alvaro Quiros. His vortex-inducing swing is a marvel, but it's his fun-loving charisma that will make him a star.
4. The Euro tour. The fine for Tiger's loogey was a much-needed institutional rebuke for a guy whose on-course comportment is often borderline at best. Maybe this will help Finchem grow a pair.
5. Steve John. A Crosby Clambake amateur, John aced Spyglass's 15th hole on Saturday. Even sweeter was the reaction of his teenage son Kyle, who was on the bag: "That was so legit, Dad!"
1. Sunday in Dubai. Quiros came strong but what could have been an epic final round turned into a monumental letdown as all the big names laid eggs. Too bad, because we won't see such a top-heavy leadeboard until Doral at the earliest.
2. Steve Marino. Dude has game when he's around the lead on Sundays he always seems like he's about to jump out of his skin. It's gonna take a while for the high-strung Marino to get over his final round collapse at Pebble.
3. Rory McIlroy. That 62 in Charlotte seems like a long, long time ago, doesn't it?
4. The flat-screen TV embedded in John Daly's golf bag. Just when you thought he couldn't get any tackier ...
5. College basketball. It's a nice little sport and all, but there's nothing more brutal than having to suffer through the last 20 minutes of a meaningless blowout just so CBS can begin its golf coverage. Here's a crazy idea: move up tipoff a little so precious tournament coverage isn't squandered.