1. The Clambake. Sure, the Pebble Beach Pro-Am has Tiger for the first time in a decade, but the real stars are the golf courses. If Pebble Beach isn’t the best track on Tour it might be Spyglass Hill. That is, unless you think the Shore Course is even better.
2. Kyle Stanley. More impressive than blowing away the field on a U.S. Open course is throwing away that tournament with an epic 72nd hole screw-up and then somehow regrouping the very next week. Kid has tons of game and, apparently, just as much heart.
3. The LPGA. The women kick off their season at one of golf’s temples, Royal Melbourne. I, for one, am looking forward to a banner year for this resurgent tour.
4. Paul Lawrie. The winner of the ’99 Open Championship continues his career renaissance with a runaway victory in Qatar. Monty must be thrilled.
5. Trish Westwood. After her son Lee was caught by TV cameras cursing after a wayward tee shot in Qatar, this proper Englishwoman rang her boy and counseled him to apologize, which Westy promptly did on Twitter. Can someone please give her Tiger’s cell number?
1. Spencer Levin. His Sunday self-immolation was brutal to watch. At least Stanley’s performance gives this kid a little hope that he can bounce back.
2. The Olympic golf course. My guess is they’ll still be laying the sod during the 2016 opening ceremonies.
3. Phil. I know he only shows up at these run-of-the-mill Tour events because he gets paid $50 million a year to do so, but playing mediocre golf is becoming a very bad habit.
4. Daniel Chopra. Dude, if you’re gonna ace two iconic holes in the same day – Pebble’s 7th and 17th – don’t do it on Monday, when no one’s around and the TV cameras are dark. You gotta plan these things better!
5. Tom Brady. First he chokes away the Super Bowl, now he WDs from the Clambake. He must’ve been afraid Gisele would heckle him for errant shots.