This week's heroes? Day-Dubuisson and Rickie Fowler. Zeros? DJ and Dufner's Hair
Every Monday, Sports Illustrated senior writer Alan Shipnuck gives his bold take on the past week's golf headlines.
1. Seve. His ghost was stirred by Victor Dubuisson’s short game magic, but make no mistake: the great Ballesteros would have eaten Jason Day like tapas. Still…
2. Jason Day. So much game and maturity, the only thing missing has been big, glittery trophies. That’s gonna change in a hurry.
3. Anna Nordqvist. I just love typing the ‘v’ where a ‘u’ oughta go. Oh, and nice win in Thailand to break a five year victory drought for the Swedish ice queen.
4. Royal County Down. This masterpiece in the Northern Irish linksland is now set to host the 2015 Irish Open. I’ve already set my DVR.
5. Rickie. Nice run at the Match Play. But I thought he dies at the end of Titanic?
1. Dustin Johnson. That’s now six years out of seven this birdie machine has gotten bounced in the first round of the Match Play. Given last year’s snub for the Prez Cup, DJ might want to focus more attention on his match play performances.
2. The Duf’s hair. The legend grows. And grows. And grows…
3. Inbee. She played well in Thailand, but yet another got away -- that’s now eight months and counting since her last victory. Not quite time to put out a Yani Alert, but still.
4. Match Play naysayers. No, the tournament is not dying. ‘Twas an unforgettable show this year, and it’ll be back better than ever next year with a new venue. So shut your collective pie holes.
5. English gents. Luke, Westy, Poults, and DLynn all got skunked at the Match Play, and J-Ro expired in the second round. One if by land, two if by sea, three if they’re lost in the cactus…