This week's heroes? Woods and Walker. Zeros? Points' Swing Aid and Sandbagging Blake Mycoskie.
1. Cheyenne. In addition to her famous last name, Ms. Woods has talent, charisma, beauty and, finally, her first professional victory. All she needs now is an LPGA card.
2. Jimmy Walker. It wasn’t pretty, but the bottom line is this: he had to make par on Pebble’s 18th to win, and he got it done. This guy is for real.
3. Richard H. Lee. With Charlie Hoffman now shorn, Lee’s hair is the leader in the clubhouse.
4. George Coetzee. After 24 top-10s on the Euro Tour, the 27 year-old South African finally snagged his first victory. You gotta admire the kid’s persistence.
5. The Seminole Pro-Member. With Mickelson playing, this confab of golf ballers will feature all four reigning major championship winners, plus a bunch of other big names. At this rate, they’ll be offering World Ranking points next year.
1. Chris Berman. He’s the only thing that can make Pebble Beach look ugly.
2. Jordan Spieth. It’s hard to be disappointed with a 20-year-old sophomore piling up his third top-10 in four starts, but Spieth’s Saturday 78 at Pebble was a painful step backward and follows a Sunday bobble at Kapalua and a lost weekend at Torrey. I fear the kid is trying too hard to force a victory. This won’t help.
3. Blake Mycoskie. The founder of TOMS Shoes, which famously donates a pair of shoes to charity for every pair purchased, was playing off an 11 and nearly stole the Pebble pro-am with a score of -30, even as his pro Rory Sabbatini shot one over par for the week. Had Mycoskie won would a duplicate trophy have been given to a sandbagging kid in a Third World country?
4. D.A. Points. It’s one thing to get DQ’d for using a swing aid in the middle of a round in one of the most boneheaded rules violations imaginable. But to do it in front of God and Condeleeza? Oy.
5. Phil Mickelson. Not only was the four-time Clambake champ and tireless supporter of the tournament paired with the goofy Points this year, he had to suffer through three rounds with Kevin Na in 2012. Are they trying to scare Mickelson away?