Royal Liverpool golf Club, or Hoylake, teems with history. Memories of 11 previous Open Championships haunt the fairways of this 145-year-old course in northwest England. Past champions here include Hagen, Jones and Woods, who in 2006 displayed all the skills and strategies that links golf demands. Virtually abandoning driver, Tiger moved his ball around the course like a grandmaster moves his chess pieces. He had to. Hoylake tests one's brain more than brawn -- not to mention one's ability to gauge the gales. (After one wind-whipped round at Royal Liverpool, Nick Faldo said, "We were aiming at adjoining fairways.") With Tiger from 2006 as our guide, here are three holes certain to test the best.
Videos More Videos
- Make Better Putts By Using Billy Horschel's Grip
- Confidential: Ryder Cup vs. Masters
- Hot Tip From a Hot Golfer: Christy Yun
- Two Tips to Change Direction Like Billy Horschel
- Alan Shipnuck: Why Team USA Will Win 2014 Ryder Cup
- Confidential: Who Should Be the U.S. Ryder Cup Team's New 'Mascot'?
- Play Like The Pros: Here's How To Take A Low Round To The House
- Deep Thoughts: Chris Kirk on Guts and Guitars