Royal Liverpool golf Club, or Hoylake, teems with history. Memories of 11 previous Open Championships haunt the fairways of this 145-year-old course in northwest England. Past champions here include Hagen, Jones and Woods, who in 2006 displayed all the skills and strategies that links golf demands. Virtually abandoning driver, Tiger moved his ball around the course like a grandmaster moves his chess pieces. He had to. Hoylake tests one's brain more than brawn -- not to mention one's ability to gauge the gales. (After one wind-whipped round at Royal Liverpool, Nick Faldo said, "We were aiming at adjoining fairways.") With Tiger from 2006 as our guide, here are three holes certain to test the best.
Videos More Videos
- Rules: Ball Pops Out When Flag Is Removed
- Confidential: Is Being Tiger's Coach the Best or Worst Job in Golf?
- Gary Player: What Every Great Putter Agrees On
- Derek Ernst on His Favorite Courses and Prized Possessions
- Confidential: Is Tiger's Scandal Still Looming Over Him?
- Chris Como on Coaching Style and the Value of Instruction
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver