1. Is it possible that Rory McIlroy just can't solve the puzzle that is Augusta National? Today's birdie-less round was a huge disappointment to the Northern Irishman, who teed off this morning in aggressive pursuit of the lead. No doubt he’ll return to his jigsaw puzzle tonight with a renewed sense of vexation.
2. This Masters could be one "for the old guys." The 58-year-old Bernhard Langer finished Saturday with a 70, good enough to tie for third. Langer would be the oldest major winner ever by a margin of 10 years. He last won the Masters in April 1993, three months before Jordan Spieth was born.
3. Smylie Kaufman still lives with his parents! The rookie shot a 69 in the third round of his very first Masters appearance. In his interview with Jim Nantz after the round, Kaufman told Nantz that he’s still bunking at his parents' place while he looks for his own.
4. Bubba Watson really needs to work on his fan banter. On the 10th hole, where he'd hit a shot into the trees, Watson got into it with a patron who had a cheeky response when Watson asked the crowd to back up. Watson's comeback was more lukewarm than burn.
5. The swirling wind was once again a menace and a trickster, but it was crueler to no one than Billy Horschel. Horschel managed to clear the water on the 15th hole, only to watch in stunned disbelief as the ball slowly rolled off the green and splashed into the drink, propelled by a 25-mph gust.