5 Things to Know About 2016 Masters Champion Danny Willett
1. He very nearly didn’t play this week. Willett was planning to skip the Masters because of his wife’s early April due date. But then the baby arrived early, clearing the way for him to appear at Augusta.
2. He was the number one ranked amateur in the world in 2008. Willett’s notable finishes include a win this year at the Dubai Desert Classic, third place at the 2015 WGC Cadillac Classic Match Play, and a T4 at last year’s race to Dubai, where he nipped at Rory McIlroy’s heels for most of the tournament.
3. He’s from Yorkshire in the United Kingdom—leading the media to dub the tough, stubborn, fast-talking Englishman the “Yorkshire Terrier,” or, alternatively, the “Yorkshire Terror.”
4. Willett’s caddie, Jonathan Smart, was wearing the number 89 today at Augusta, the same digits that Jack Nicklaus’ caddie-son Jackie Jr. donned in 1986.
5. He used to play golf in a sheep field in England. Willett’s come a long way from the pasture to the perfectly manicured greens at the Masters.