2007 Golf Season's Year-End Quiz
Maybe you thought you were paying attention to golf in 2007, but this Killer Year-End Quiz says you probably weren't. You've got a good chance to go low with this Quiz as in, not get many correct. Go ahead and test your memory, if you dare...
THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE TRIVIAL
1. Why did CBS golf commentator Ian Baker-Finch fall to the ground while standing at Westchester Country Club's 18th green during the Barclays?
a. He was dodging a FedEx Cup leaderboard that suddenly toppled.
b. He was scared by a flash of lightning.
c. He was hit in the jaw by a ball hit by Rich Beem.
d. He was hit in the jaw by Gary McCord.
2. What was Bill Murray driving when Stockholm police officers stopped him after the Scandanavian Masters and asked him to take a breathalyzer test?
a. Golf cart
3. Whose home did John Daly stay at while competing in the Buick Open in Grand Blanc, Mich.?
a. Smokey Robinson
b. Ted Nugent
c. Lil Bow-Wow
d. Kid Rock
4. What was 17-handicapper Wayne Gretzky's response when his Canadian Open pro-am partner, Cristie Kerr, presented him with a pre-tournament gift of two dozen golf balls?
a. "Did you already wolf down the other dozen?"
b. "My god, you remind me of Mark Messier."
c. "You've got balls."
d. "I only need three."
5. On the Sunday morning before the U.S. Senior Open's final round, what did Curtis Strange present to the chief of the local 22-member volunteer fire department in Haven, Wisc., which is headquartered just up the road from Whistling Straits?
a. An envelope with $3,500 in cash.
b. The driver that Craig Stadler tried to toss in Lake Michigan the day before.
c. Twenty-two Milwaukee Brewers season tickets.
d. An autographed box of matches.
6. Who attended the inaugural AT&T National at Congressional Country Club and gave hugs to Phil Mickelson and Brad Faxon, among others?
a. Bill Clinton
b. Hillary Clinton
c. Condoleezza Rice
d. Dick Cheney
7. How did European Tour player Bradley Dredge describe losing the Welsh Open in his native country after he bogeyed the 72nd hole?
a. "Another jammy dodger in the pantaloons, old boy."
b. "A bit of a chum-muffery, I'm afraid."
c. "I didn't break my duck. I reckon the punters will have a go at some bangers."
d. "I really feel this is a kick in the nuts."
8. Tiger Woods said it was 'pretty neat' to have 'probably the most dominant athlete on the planet' in his gallery during the WGC-CA at Doral. Who was he talking about?
a. Tracy McGrady
b. Roger Federer
c. Tom Brady
d. Tim Herron
9. Rob Lowe hit an approach shot that killed a goldfinch during the Principal Charity Classic Pro-Am in West Des Moines, Iowa. What did he say afterward?
a. "Who comes here and kills the state bird? Only me."
b. "At least I didn't shoot anybody in the face."
c. "That's the worst thing I've seen in golf since Jean Van de Velde."
d. "I've always loved birds. They're delicious."
10. After Tom Watson won the Outback Steakhouse Pro-Am near Tampa, his first victory in Florida in 94 tournaments, who commemorated the occasion by joking, 'I'd just like to congratulate Tom Watson, a guy I always thought was a total loser, for proving me wrong.'
a. Jack Nicklaus
b. Jimmy Kimmel
c. Bill Murray
d. Chris Rock
11. How did Brandt Snedeker describe shooting 61 at Torrey Pines during the Buick Championship?
a. "I felt like Tiger Woods just loaned me his Buick."
b. "I felt like I was playing (as) Tiger Woods on PlayStation."
c. "If you ever saw 'Tin Cup,' that was me today."
d. "Did I beat Tiger? Good, that makes once."
12. What did tournament host George Lopez have set up on the practice range at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic?
a. Krispy Kreme doughnuts
b. In-N-Out Burgers
c. Taco Bell chalupas
d. Bob Hope
13. What did Tony Soprano receive from his wife as a birthday gift during the final season of HBO's The Sopranos?
a. A round of golf with Johnny Miller.
b. A golf cart customized to look like a Rolls Royce.
c. A round at Augusta National.
d. A set of golf clubs.
14. What did Phil Mickelson send as a baby gift for Sam Alexis Woods?
a. A miniature ping-pong table.
b. The 2004 Masters highlights.
c. Green diapers.
d. Left-handed children's golf clubs.
MASTERS OF THE (NOT-SO) OBVIOUS
Fill in the blank. The obvious but wrong answer is included in parentheses.
1. Woody (Aquaman) Austin was paired with _____ when he did his famous lake dive during the Presidents Cup matches. (Not Phil Mickelson)
2. Tiger Woods played in the final round of the Masters with _______. (Not Zach Johnson)
3. Boo Weekley chipped in on the final two holes to take the Verizon Heritage title at Harbour Town from ____. (Not Greg Norman)
4. The PGA Tour stop in Las Vegas next year will have _________ as its celebrity host. (Not Celine Dion or Wayne Newton)
5. Phil Mickelson won the HSBC Champions event in China in a playoff after ________ double-bogeyed the final hole when he chipped over the green and into a lake. (Not Phil Mickelson)
6. The U.S. Open ended for ________ when, after hurting his wrist on a chip from the rough at Oakmont's 11th hole, he shanked a 3-iron off the 14th tee, made bogey and withdrew. (Not Phil Mickelson)
Match the quote with the person who said it.
1. "Dave Marr once said, 'There's not a swing thought in the whole continent of South America.' "
2. "It'd be nice if Elin had quadruplets nicely spaced out throughout the year, perhaps the first in April, the second in mid-June, the third in July and the fourth in the second week of August. The rest of us might have a chance then."
3. "You'll be like that someday, too. All you'll remember are the 15 or 16 Masters that Tiger Woods won."
4. "They always say nobody likes to make a bogey less than Tiger. Well, we all like making bogeys then, I guess."
5. "To suggest that getting married or having a baby would slow him down is asinine. Tiger will break all the records. There's no stopping him."
a. Woody Austin
b. Paul Azinger
c. Colin Montgomerie
d. Curtis Strange
e. Dan Jenkins
Major Championship True or False
1. Tim Clark made the U.S. Open cut at Oakmont despite not making a birdie.
2. Winner Cristie Kerr was the only American among the top 15 finishers at the Women's U.S. Open.
3. Bubba Watson led after the first round of the U.S. Open.
4. Rory McIlroy, the 18-year-old from Northern Ireland, was the only amateur who made the British Open cut at Carnoustie.
5. Boo Weekley was disqualified from the PGA Championship because Sergio Garcia had written an incorrect score on his card.
6. Andres Romero shot the lowest round at the British Open.
7. The Women's British Open, won by Lorena Ochoa, was the first women's professional event ever played on the Old Course in St. Andrews.
8. When Tiger Woods won the PGA at Southern Hills at 8 under par, it was the first time he won a major without being at least 10 under for the tournament.
9. Even though Arnold Palmer was only going to hit a tee shot on the first hole as the new ceremonial starter at the Masters, he spent 45 minutes warming up on the practice range with nearly every club in his bag.
10. Fred Couples missed the cut at the Masters with a second-round 76 and came up short of tying Gary Player's record of 23 straight Masters cuts made.
The good, the bad and the trivial
Masters of the Not-so-obvious
2-False. Morgan Pressel was 10th; Brittainy Lincicome 14th.
3-False. It was Nick Dougherty.
5-False. Weekley made an error on Garcia's card, causing Garcia to be disqualified.
6-False. Steve Stricker shot 64 in the third round and Richard Green did the same in the final round.
8-False. Woods was three under in the '02 U.S. Open at Bethpage Black.
10-False. The 76 meant Couples narrowly made the cut and tied Player's mark.