Casey Martin wants public apology from USGA for cart denial
Disabled golfer Casey Martin will be allowed to use a cart while attending USGA events, according to Golfweek.
Amazingly, that's news. Last month, Martin, who is the golf coach at the University of Oregon, was not allowed to ride a cart to follow potential recruits at a U.S. Junior Amateur qualifier in Oceanside, Calif. Tournament officials said they booted Martin from the cart -- he initially was given one -- because of USGA rules. Afterward the USGA did not publicly apologize to Martin and actually affirmed the decision to deny Martin a cart in a written statement. Now, according to Golfweek, the USGA appears to have come to its senses:
Martin also told Golfweek that he received a personal phone call and apology from USGA executive director Mike Davis, but that he still wants a public apology from the USGA. Martin, who successfully sued the PGA Tour in 2001 to use a cart on Tour, played in the 1998 and 2012 U.S. Opens. He played college golf at Stanford with Tiger Woods.
Moving forward, Casey Martin will be given a cart at any USGA event he attends, the Oregon men's coach told Golfweek on Tuesday via telephone.
Martin said he talked to longtime friend John Bodenhamer, the USGA's senior managing director of rules, competitions and amateur status, and Bodenhamer said Martin would be accommodated at this month’s U.S. Junior Amateur in Truckee, Calif., and beyond.
Photo: Casey Martin at the 2012 U.S. Open (Getty Images).