Nick Faldo to return to Open Championship at Muirfield
Three-time champ Nick Faldo announced on Friday he is set to return to this year's Open Championship held at Muirfield from July 18-21.
Faldo, currently the lead golf anchor for CBS Sports, hasn't played competitively since he missed the cut (72-81) at the 2010 Open Championship at St. Andrews. The former world No. 1 ranked player holds three Claret Jugs, winning three titles in six years with two coming at Muirfield. The six-time major champ spoke with CNN's Shane O'Donoghue during Friday's telecast of the Players Championship about his decision.
"I've been fighting it for years," Faldo said. "I was in the gym on Monday, and it suddenly just hit me. I thought, 'Come on, this is one more walk,' and I'll probably never get a chance to walk at Muirfield. If I can just get over the hurdle and say to myself, 'What will be, will be." I can't go for score. I can't be any fitter. If I can just hit a few solid long irons, who knows what could happen? I could just go play and enjoy the shot"Faldo selected his son, Matthew, to be his caddie for the tournament, who offered ample support for his father's decision.
"He goes, 'Blimey, are you sure? Bloody hell, Dad, what made you think of that?'" Faldo said. "But it's for him, and it's for my kids. We can go, have an enjoyable week at it and soak up the old memories"The 2008 Open Championship marked the first time Faldo wasn't in the field since '76. He had played in 32 consecutive Open Championships previously. He missed the cut in '09 and '10, opted not to play in '11 and joined the BBC Sport commentary team for the event in '12.
"I've got just over two months to go to get myself to pretend that I'm a golfer," Faldo said. (Getty Images)