Tee it High or Low?

Creating The Perfect Height

For a 6-iron through wedge, bury the tee in the ground so you can see only its head.

For longer irons, leave about a 1/4-inch of the tee above the ground.

For hybrids and fairway woods, leave about 1/2-inch of the tee above the ground.


Make a High Tee Work for You
Drill 1: Extend your arms for power
To consistently rip solid drives, you need to extend your arms through impact, keeping the clubface square. If you can accomplish this, your clubhead will be in prime position to launch the ball high and long. Here's how to perfect that motion.

Place two tees in the ground, one about a foot in front of the other, and tee up a ball on the back tee. Now take your normal address position for a driver, with the ball in line with your front heel and your right shoulder slightly below your left.

As you begin your swing, imagine that, after impact, you want to clip the head of the second tee with your clubhead. You won't actually strike the tee, but trying to do so will force you to fully extend your arms through impact. This will help keep your clubface square and get your clubhead in position to sweep firmly through the ball.

Quick Tip
To sweep your ball off a high tee, you must address the ball properly. Lean gently to your right so that your right shoulder is slightly below your left and position the ball in line with your front heel. If you tee up the ball too far back in your stance, you likely will swing too steeply.

Drill 2: Get on the power plane
A high tee will promote a rounder and shallower swing path because it forces you to sweep the ball. But it won't necessarily get you on the power plane—that is, swinging on an inside-out path. Here's a quick drill to help you do that.

Slide your right foot back from the target line about 1 foot at address and swing across your body. Your stance will allow your left shoulder to turn under your chin as your right hip coils on the backswing. On the downswing, your right arm and shoulder will naturally drop to the inside, creating a powerful inside-out swing path and a flatter plane through impact. Hit a few balls from this position and you'll groove a rounder, on-plane swing that, combined with a high tee height, will allow you to hit the kind of towering draws you've always dreamed about.

Drill 3: Load your weight onto your back foot
One of the keys to generating power is transferring your weight onto your back foot during your backswing so that you can unload that weight during your downswing and through impact. At the top of your backswing you should have roughly 80 percent of your weight on the inside of your back foot and the other 20 percent on the inside of your front foot.

To feel the sensation of transferring your weight onto your back foot, take some practice swings on a slight incline. The slopes that often separate one tee box from another are perfect for this. As you begin your backswing, notice how your weight quickly and effortlessly shifts to your back foot. This sensation will be exaggerated because of the slope, but will be a useful reference when you swing for real. Be sure to keep your weight on the inside of your back foot. If it shifts to the outside, you will lose the solid base you need to transfer your weight to your front foot. To hone the feeling of shifting your weight to your front foot during your downswing, reverse this drill and do it on a downslope.

Quick Tip
Keeping your head behind the ball through impact will ensure that you catch the ball with a slightly upward blow for a high launch angle and low spin.


Related Articles:
Stop Your Reverse Pivot and Add Yards
The Instant Power Move
Add Yards With the O-Factor
Forecast
PGA Tour News
Trips
Travel & Courses
Lessons
Tips & Videos
The Shop
Equipment News & Reviews