Pelz On: Wedge Shots
Time your wedge swings for expert distance control
When you face a shot shorter than what you can produce with a full wedge swing, you've officially entered the short game. Chances are you struggle from these distances because you make a full backswing and then decelerate into your foward-swing to "soften" the blow and shorten the distance. Keeping a consistent follow-through and varying the length of your backswing is the best way to achieve efficient and accutate distance control.
Knock it closer for more one-putts:
The key to good scoring is stopping your wedge shots within the "Golden Eight Feet" (2 feet to 10 feet of the hole). The chance of one-putting from this range is very good.
From the Pelz School: Control Distance With Length
After extensive testing and research, I discovered that the best way to control the distance your wedge shots fly is with the length of your backswing. If you use the same rhythm and a full follow-through, then the shorter you make your backswing, the shorter your shots will fly.
That's my mantra: shorter backswings for shorter shots and longer backswings for longer shots. Imagine your left arm as the hour hand on a clock (see photo below), with the 12:00 position above your head. If you use the same rhythm and follow-through, your wedge shot distances will increase as you lengthen your backswing from 7:30 to the 9:00 and 10:30 positions.
This distance-control system guards against the biggest short-game killer: deceleration. It also creates three repeatable distances for each wedge you carry.
Videos More Videos
- Was Hack Golf a Failure?
- The Shop: TaylorMade R15 Driver
- Rotate For Straighter Shots
- Tour Confidential: Will Phil Mickelson at ASU Start a Pro-Coaching Trend?
- The Shop: Cleveland CG Black Irons
- Deep Thoughts: Brittany Lang on Her Idol and Greatest Accomplishments
- Help Wanted! Why Adam Scott's Caddie Will Have Golf's Best Gig
- Is Bubba Watson Now the Best American Golfer?
- Lou Guzzi: Perfecting a Knockdown Shot
- Tour Confidential: Is Bubba More Popular Than Rickie?