El Camaleon was built by Greg Norman and opened in 2004. The course winds through three distinct landscapes of tropical jungle, dense mangroves and sand-lined oceanfront. Looking for some hints as to who might play well in such an environment? Here's a fantasy golf primer for this week's OHL Classic at Mayakoba.
Based on last year’s stats, the track was the 31st most difficult in driving accuracy and the 25th hardest in greens in regulation. One historical oddity is that six of the eight winners have been over age 30, with last year’s winner, Charley Hoffman, just a month shy of his 38th birthday.
The par 4s are hard to master, with the past eight winners having played them at an average of just six-and-a-half shots under par for the week.
Overall, the course is scoreable, but it can play a full shot tougher in the afternoon when the wind inevitably picks up.
Here are five players to watch at El Camaleon, along with their last five finishes in this event.
T37, DNP, DNP, DNP, DNP
- He's contended in all three starts this season, including a T6 at the Frys.com Open.
T7, T3, DNP, T19, DNP
- Bohn has two top-3 finishes in three starts this season.
Charles Howell III
Cut, T6, T16, T13, T20
- Excels on Bermuda greens and resort courses.
DNP, DNP, DNP, DNP, DNP
- Been in contention in both of his 2016 starts, finishing T2 at the Frys.com Open and T4 at the Sanderson Farms Championship.
T23, T3, T5, 4, T40
- Stroud is 48-under in his last 16 rounds at El Camaleon.