From Golf Magazine ClubTest 2012 (April, 2012)
Category: Game-Improvement Irons
Price: $499, steel (set of 7); $599, graphite
WE TESTED: 4-PW with True Temper Dynalite 90 steel shaft
KEY TECHNOLOGIES: The addition of two tungsten sole weights—bringing the total to four—lowers the center of gravity to optimize trajectory and boost MOI. A deep undercut cavity repositions more weight to the outer edges of the head to give the XCG5 an extremely large effective hitting area. The clubface is Tour Edge’s thinnest (2.2 mm) ever for an iron, providing more juice on off-center hits.
OUR TESTERS SAY: This club’s for you if you need help launching the ball up in the air. Extreme sole weighting ensures easy liftoff.
PLAYABILITY: Heavy, rounded sole delivers in soft conditions; higher-than-normal flight makes for easy, soft landings; long irons are as easy to hit as hybrids.
ACCURACY/FORGIVENESS: Heavy and thin shots get a lot of assistance from beefed-up sole; shots want to fly high and straight, with little deviation left or right.
DISTANCE CONTROL: Short irons produce good length; long irons offer length that’s comparable to hybrids.
FEEL: Soft, muted impact—you won’t hurt stiff joints on a cold day; hefty head is stable and powerful through the ball.
LOOK: Black, red and silver color combo gives the head a NASCAR-like look; technology behind the face is visible at address and screams forgiveness.
Cumbersome around the greens; doesn’t offer much finesse or shotmaking ability; some testers struggle from tight lies; finish wears off face and leaves scars.
From Golf Magazine (December, 2011)
Designed for: Game improvement
The XCG-5 has four tungsten sole weights (its predecessor has two) to lower the center of gravity (CG) and enhance the club’s ability to withstand twisting at impact. Coupled with a deep undercut cavity that moves weight to the outer edges of the clubhead, the XCG-5 boasts the largest effective hitting area of any Tour Edge iron and one of the highest MOIs in the industry. Tour Edge’s thinnest iron clubface (2.2 mm) promotes crisp feel and consistent distance on off-center hits.
Find The Clubs For YouGolf.com has teamed up with GolfTEC and Golfsmith to offer you several custom-fitting options in your area.
Videos More Videos
- Club Campestre: The Mexican Course That Survived The Cartels
- PGA Tour Confidential: What To Expect From Tiger in 2014
- Blair O'Neal: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Bubba: Why You Shouldn't Practice
- Old Tom Morris, New Style Icon?
- Holly Sonders: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Natalie Gulbis: Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- PGA Tour Power Tip: Use Your Hips Like Harris English
- Anna Rawson: The Most Beautiful Women in Golf
- Who's The Best Player Right Now?
- Better By Saturday: Lou Guzzi's Chopping Wood Drill
- How To Add Freedom To Your Swing For Better Ball-Striking