With even top professionals switching from regular golf shoes to casual, spikeless footwear on the course, industry leader FootJoy is not letting any moss grow underfoot. The company is releasing a full line of spikeless shoes based on its popular Contour model.
Contour Casual shoes are designed for casual wear on and off the golf course and are an extension of the Contour Series, the best-selling golf shoe category in the world, according to the company. The new shoes feature premium leathers, waterproofing, and lightweight comfort.
“There's been a preference of late to wear the same pair of shoes from the house to the office, to The sole of the Contour Casualthe range, to the course, to the clubhouse, and back home again,” said Chris Garrett, FootJoy's senior manager of consumer marketing. “For this small percentage of golfers [roughly 10 percent of all golf shoes sold], the convenience and time-savings associated with wearing a casual, spikeless pair of golf shoes outweighs the performance benefits of changing their shoes once arriving at the golf course.”
He added that golfers may just wear Contour Casual to play nine holes and save their top-of-the-line performance shoes for competitive rounds. They would certainly make sense for quick trips to the range. But Contour Casual shoes represent a departure in design protocol for FootJoy, which typically takes its inspiration from Tour staffers, many of whom wear the FJ Icon. The drive toward more casual spikeless models stems from a perceived lifestyle shift among the general golfing population.
Contour Casual will be available in 47 length/width combinations, according to the company, and four colors: dark brown/green; black/taupe blaze; white/taupe blaze; and navy/red. The first models will hit stores in March, the full collection in May, and look for them to retail for $115.
- FootJoy is set to release a new line of spikeless, casual golf shoes
- The Contour Casual shoes feature premium leather and are waterproof
- Contour Casual will be available in 47 length/width combinations
Videos More Videos
- Deep Thoughts With Sergio Garcia
- Go Longer With the New Nike Covert Irons
- Tumble Like Rory to Knock Your Fairway Woods Pin High
- 'In Conversation With': Richard Kind and David Morse on Acting and Golf
- Learn Walker's 'Spider-Man' Move
- Tour Confidential: Match Play Event In Trouble?
- 'In Conversation With' Preview: Richard Kind and David Morse
- Tour Confidential: Why 'Caddyshack' Endures
- Deep Thoughts With Jason Day
- Johnny Miller: 3 Tour Trends That Need To End Now!