Since its 1909 inception, Greensboro Country Club has been the most prestigious golf institution in town, but its Carlson Farm course was never a source of great pride.
\nThe suburban 1963 Ellis Maples design was intended to be a meaty, modern alternative to the club's shorter Donald Ross course at its downtown facility, but Carlson Farm failed to take advantage of its potential.
\nForty years after the club acquired the course, it enlisted Donald Steel for an extreme makeover. Ably assisted by Jonathan Gaunt, Steel transformed a tired 6,914-yard, par-71 layout into a 7,302-yard, par-72 funfest.
\nTwo new par 3s, the 5th and the 14th; completely rebuilt greens and bunkers; new zoysia grass fairways; and dramatic alterations to seven other holes have infused the Farm with the kind of challenge and playability that can compete with any course in the region. In a year when Old Macdonald captures top new course honors, it's only fitting that the renovation award goes to the Farm.