AP News

2011 South African Open organizers: John Daly didn't snub us

Photo: Jeff Haynes/Reuters

Daly stormed off the course and withdrew in the middle of a round at the Australian Open two weeks ago.

JOHANNESBURG (AP) - Organizers of the South African Open say controversial golfer John Daly did not "snub'' their tournament and that he was simply unable to travel to Johannesburg in time.

Promoter Mbali Ngqula dismissed reports that Daly had refused to play the European Tour event after his fiery exit from the recent Australian Open, where he hit a string of shots into a lake and then quit saying he had run out of balls.

Ngqula said on Thursday "it is wrong to suggest that John snubbed our invitation, he did no such thing.'' Ngqula said Daly was ``very willing'' to play the South African Open but had been unable to make it in time.

The promoter added the two-time major winner, known as "The Wild Thing,'' had indicated he wanted to play in the Africa Open in South Africa early next year.


More From the Web